On this Memorial of Our Lady of the Rosary, please join us for the live-streamed ceremony of the Institution of Lectors, celebrated by Bishop Joseph Perry, auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Chicago. The stream will begin around 4:30 p.m.
An explanation of the lector’s role is found in the rite itself, as prayed by the bishop:
Through his Son, who became man for us, God the Father has revealed the mystery of salvation and brought it to fulfillment. Jesus Christ made all things known to us and then entrusted his Church with the mission of preaching the Gospel to the whole world.
As readers and bearers of God’s word, you will assist in this mission, and so take on a special office within the Christian community; you will be given a responsibility in the service of the faith, which is rooted in the word of God. You will proclaim that word in the liturgical assembly, instruct children and adults in the faith and prepare them to receive the sacraments worthily. You will bring the message of salvation to those who have not yet received it. Thus with your help men and women will come to know God our Father and his Son Jesus Christ, whom he sent, and so be able to reach eternal life.
In proclaiming God’s word to others, accept it yourselves in obedience to the Holy Spirit. Meditate on it constantly, so that each day you will have a deeper love of the Scriptures, and in all you say and do show forth to the world our Savior, Jesus Christ.
During the rite, each seminarian individually approached the bishop, who handed him the Bible and said:
Take this book of holy Scripture and be faithful in handing on the word of God, so that it may grow strong in the hearts of his people.
The new lectors will now proclaim the readings of Sacred Scripture at Mass for the community. The ministry of lector is an important step on the road to Holy Orders.
Please join us in praying that these men grow in wisdom and love of the Scriptures through their new roles as lectors.
- Elliot Alonzo Andrade, Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Cameron John Costello, Diocese of Davenport
- Dylan Stuart Crawley, Diocese of Lubbock
- Isaac Valentine Doucette, Diocese of Davenport
- Christopher Thomas Epplett, Diocese of Grand Rapids
- Jeffrey Isaac Frieden, Archdiocese of Dubuque
- Matthew John Gembrowski, Diocese of Saginaw
- Jesus Francisco Gomez, Diocese of Tucson
- Kevin Michael Gregus, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Jared James Kleinwaechter, Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Daniel Joseph Korenchan, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Jeremy Michael Leganski, Diocese of Joliet
- Andrew Michael LeGreve, Diocese of Green Bay
- Alexander Thomas Lorang, Diocese of Joliet
- Michael Charles Mehringer, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Joshua Gregory Miller, Diocese of Fairbanks
- Joshua Robert Moore, Diocese of Rockford
- Duoc Dominic Hoang Nguyen, Diocese of Davenport
- Connor Richard Orabutt, Diocese of Rockford
- Francisco Javier Pagán Portalatín, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Colin Flynn Patrick, Archdiocese of Atlanta
- Marko Pranic, Diocese of Albany
- Frank Joseph Pusateri, Diocese of Joliet
- Jesus Raya Custodio, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Jared Edward Rutnicki, Diocese of Joliet
- Joseph Anthony Tang Keng Ko Sales, Diocese of Las Vegas
- Alan Soto Hopkins, Diocese of Tucson
- Jacob Michael Zemaitis, Diocese of Grand Rapids