On October 25, 2021, sixteen seminarians were instituted in the ministry of lector. The main presider of the Mass was Bishop Oscar Cantú of the Diocese of San Jose.
An explanation of the lector’s role is found in the rite itself, as prayed by the bishop:
Through his Son, who became man for us, God the Father has revealed the mystery of salvation and brought it to fulfillment. Jesus Christ made all things known to us and then entrusted his Church with the mission of preaching the Gospel to the whole world.
As readers and bearers of God’s word, you will assist in this mission, and so take on a special office within the Christian community; you will be given a responsibility in the service of the faith, which is rooted in the word of God. You will proclaim that word in the liturgical assembly, instruct children and adults in the faith and prepare them to receive the sacraments worthily. You will bring the message of salvation to those who have not yet received it. Thus with your help men and women will come to know God our Father and his Son Jesus Christ, whom he sent, and so be able to reach eternal life.
In proclaiming God’s word to others, accept it yourselves in obedience to the Holy Spirit. Meditate on it constantly, so that each day you will have a deeper love of the Scriptures, and in all you say and do show forth to the world our Savior, Jesus Christ.
During the rite, each seminarian individually approached the bishop, who handed him the Bible and said:
Take this book of holy Scripture and be faithful in handing on the Word of God, so that it may grow strong in the hearts of his people.
The new lectors will now proclaim the readings of Sacred Scripture at Mass for the community. The ministry of lector is an important step on the road to Holy Orders.
Please join us in praying that these men grow in wisdom and love of the Scriptures through their new roles as lectors.
- Nicholas Baker, Diocese of Grand Rapids
- Timothy Berryhill, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Grant Colborn, Diocese of Rockford
- Dane Dickinson, Diocese of Davenport
- Jacob Hahn, Diocese of Grand Rapids
- Jacob Hugo, Diocese of Saginaw
- Robert Lamorena, Diocese of San Jose
- Ryan Mau, Diocese of San Jose
- Duy Duc Nguyen, Diocese of San Jose
- Martin Nyberg, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Anthony Onu, Diocese of Albany
- Kyle Rink, Archdiocese of Seattle
- Luis Ron, Diocese of Joliet
- Joseph Tapia-Beeman, Archdiocese of Seattle
- Jose Carlos Vargas, Archdiocese of Chicago
- John Washington, Diocese of Yakima