USML | How to Give


How to Give


"Priests are called 'father' because they are life-givers in the spiritual order. Spiritual fathers protect their children; they teach them; they are there for them. At the limit, they give their lives for them." - Fr. John Kartje, Rector of Mundelein Seminary

Making a Donation

When you make a gift to the University of Saint Mary of the Lake / Mundelein Seminary, you are joining thousands of supporters who help provide the best environment for these men to strengthen their knowledge and faith as they prepare to spend a lifetime in priestly ministry to serve the faithful here and around the country and the world. Even a little goes a long way.


By Mail, Phone, EFT or Wire Transfer

Send it by mail: When making a gift by check, please remember to indicate your gift’s purpose on the memo line. Checks should be payable to Mundelein Seminary and mailed to:

Gift Processing Department
Mundelein Seminary
PO Box 810
Mundelein, IL 60060--0810

Give us a ring: Call 847-970-4816 to provide your credit card information over the phone. When you call, you’ll hear a real-live human voice on the other end, we promise.

Set up an electronic funds transfer. Just download and complete this form, sign and mail it to the address above. 

Donate via wire transfer. Please contact Harve Schlachter at 847-970-4952 or for additional information.

Planned Giving

Endowed Funds

An endowed fund can make your influence last for generations. These funds can support students, faculty, programs or building maintenance in perpetuity or over an extended period of time, depending on your specifications.

When you endow a fund, you may name it after yourself, or you may name it to honor and pay tribute to mentors or loved ones.

You may establish an endowed fund in several ways:

  • Donating cash — online or otherwise;
  • Donating securities;
  • Creating a planned gift such as an annuity, charitable remainder trust or by making a bequest in your will;
  • A combination of these options.

Generally, three types of gifts are invested as endowed funds:

True endowed funds are created when a donor instructs Mundelein Seminary to invest a gift to generate spendable resources in perpetuity to fulfill the donor’s intent. The gift is invested within a pool of similar funds, with the objective to generate as much spendable income as possible for the university’s benefit, now and in the future.

Pending endowed funds
You can establish an endowed fund over a period of time, usually in five years, if this time is needed to achieve the minimum funding level for a new endowed fund.

We would be happy to answer your questions about establishing an endowed fund. Please contact the development staff member in your area of interest with your questions.

Matching Gifts

You can maximize your charitable contribution to Mundelein Seminary through a special benefit many companies offer their employees: the matching gift program.

Through matching gift programs, many companies allow employees the opportunity to multiply the impact of their personal contributions. If your company sponsors a matching gift program, you can easily increase the impact your gift will have on seminarians, faculty, and programs at Mundelein Seminary. Most participating companies will match employee gifts dollar for dollar. Some will even double- or triple-match a gift.

Arrange a match. It’s easy.

Thank you for your support of the University of Saint Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary.

Questions? Please contact:

Donor Relations Supervisor
(847) 970-4816

Gifts of Securities

Your gift of appreciated marketable stocks or mutual fund shares provides significant support for the Mundelein Seminary program of your choice. It also may offer you important tax benefits.

Rather than selling your appreciated securities and donating the proceeds, consider transferring them to Mundelein Seminary. This is likely to increase the value of your gift because you will not incur sales expenses and your transfer will not generate a taxable capital gain.

If your securities have decreased in value since you acquired them, it may be to your advantage to sell them, report the capital loss deduction and donate the proceeds.

If you hold highly appreciated but low-yield stocks, consider using them to fund a charitable remainder trust or a charitable gift annuity at Mundelein Seminary. We can convert the stocks to income investments and provide you with a long-term income stream while minimizing your taxable capital gains. For more information on how a gift of real estate might work for you, please contact the Office of Planned Giving.

To make your gift, and to ensure that you receive proper acknowledgement and documentation, please refer to our detailed instructions on transferring the following types of assets:

  • Securities held by a bank or broker
  • Stock certificates you hold
  • Mutual fund shares

DTC Number: 771

Account Number: 156-16135-1-2
Taxpayer ID Number: 36-2170826 - Archdiocese of Chicago

Our Broker: William Blair & Company
(312) 364-8239

Fax: (312) 577-0658
Attn: Cliff Kalish

Please telephone our office if your client is transferring shares to University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary. We need to know the name and numbers of shares being transferred.

We recommend that you consult your tax advisor for more information regarding the gift tax and income tax results of such gifts as they apply to your specific situation. (Mundelein Seminary does not provide donors with individual tax advice.)

If you have questions, please contact Harve Schlachter, Director of Planned Giving, at 847-970-4952, or

USML Employee Payroll Deduction

If you’re on the faculty or staff at the University of Saint Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary, you can support the university by having gifts deducted from your paycheck. Give to your own department, or direct your donation elsewhere at USML.

Even a small amount deducted from each check builds up over time and can eventually provide a substantial gift for the university.

Donations to USML are tax deductible under Section 170 (b) of the Internal Revenue Code and qualify for the maximum tax benefits available for charitable giving under federal income, estate and gift tax laws.

To sign up for payroll deduction, contact the Business Office.

To see this video you need to upgrade to the latest HTML5 compatible browser or download Adobe Flash Player.